Lido Key Beach
Lido Key ♦ This beautiful beach is walking distance to events at St. Armands Circle and very close to Downtown Sarasota and the Ringling Bridge.
I often enjoy sunsets on Lido Beach and dinner at the Surf Shack or Shore Diner at St. Armands Circle.
North Lido Beach is a good beach for privacy, is just north after you have gone through St. Armands Circle. Parking is free but limited, but it’s a great beach. Lido Public Beach is everything you expect in a public beach: a great beach, snack pavilion, play ground, picnic tables and good parking. It is located about 1/2 mile south of the circle.
South Lido Park is at the south end of Lido Key. It offers good parking and a “back to natural Florida” atmosphere. Large pines and trails into the interior make this a wonderful spot. Good sunsets, paddle boarding, kayaking, birdwatching, boating and picnic tables complement this park.
- Lido Beach Casino: since the opening of Lido Key to automobile traffic in 1926, Lido Beach has been a popular spot for bathers.
- In August of that year, John Ringling, Samuel Gumpertz, and Owen Burns built a $30,000 pavilion, dock and bathhouses south of the present park.
- In May of 1940, the Lido Beach Casino opened on a 1300 foot section of Lido Beach which the city of Sarasota had purchased from the John Ringling Estate.
- Designed by Ralph Twitchell and funded partially by federal WPA money, the $250,000 Casino combined Art Deco, Modern and Frank Lloyd Wright features to create a sparkling modern structure which became a magnet for residents and visitors.
- By the end of the 1950’s poor management had resulted in a deteriorated building and an operational debt. A bond issue to remodel and modernize the Casino passed in 1964, but the building was demolished in 1969 before any work was done.
- The remodeling and modernizing took the form of a new building which was designed by Edward J. “Tim” Seibert and opened in 1970.
- This site became the responsibility of Sarasota County to operate and maintain as the result of the consolidation of the city of Sarasota and county Parks and Recreation on April 1, 1990 (city owned, county operated.)
- Muirfield Village at Honore
- Arlington Park
- Laurel Park Historic District
- Lido Key Beach
- The Landings | Gated Community
- McClellan Park
- Lakewood Ranch
- Anna Maria Island
- Bird Key
- Casey Key
- Lido Key and St. Armands Circle
- Longboat Key
- Palmer Ranch | Prestancia | The Oaks Club | Country Club of Sarasota
- Downtown Sarasota
- Siesta Key Beach & Village
- The Meadows
- The Oaks
- University Park